Here's a puzzle...

I have the iBook 700, the 2002 model with the Radeon Mobility (16) but
not the Radeon 7500 (32).  I noticed a funky outer "ring" around my
audio out/headphone jack that looks like it could also take another
kind of plug.  It's hard to describe, but it's definitely different
than the metal ring around the headphone jacks of older iBook models I
have seen.

Does anyone know what this "outer ring" is for?  It appears to have
some metal contacts and shape to it (to prevent the plug from going in
any other way).  This model uses the video port for video out, not the
older kind that uses the combined audio/visual jack, so I wouldn't
expect the headphone jack to be anything other than a plain stereo
minijack.

What's the deal?

--Chris
iBook 700 OS X.2.4