Hello all, I am hoping someone can clarify an issue for me with respect to
WiFi networking.

I have read that it is not possible to link Airport Base Stations to an
internet connection in anything but a star topology.

This restriction makes me wonder whether it would be possible to daisy-chain
base stations, whether they be Apple or 3rd party (11/54 Mbit), and to have
*local* (i.e. non-internet) TCP/IP traffic "hop" between daisy chained base
stations)?

My second question is -- would it be possible to have a server (http, ftp,
etc) which is accessible either to the web, or to the WiFi WAN/LAN with the
same IP/DN (accessible within the WiFinet whether or not the internet
connection was live... would this require the WiFinet to run its own DNS?)?

And, I guess the 3rd question is, can you prevent TCP/IP requests to a
server (let's say http) from bridging my conception of a WiFinet and the
internet, and vice-versa? i.e. traffic can reach the same http server but
not use the server as a conduit to get onto either the WiFinet or internet.

I am trying to develop a conceptual framework for my own personal network
and am trying to assess how scalable it could be (e.g. a WiFi "internet"
only accessible to, and relevant to our neighbourhood community and
businesses, but one in which individual players can access the wider
internet as they need without providing free internet access to all).

PS I claim ownership over this idea... you can use it, just give me credit
(unless someone else already dreamt it up) (it popped into my head last
night since I'm trying to figure out whether I should get our Lombard and
Pismo and a few other WinDOSe computers in the same house (other people)
wirelessly networked, and hooked up to the internet... I have a few other
ideas that are only peripherally related to my WiFi problems, but I'll try
to flesh them out into a more articulate story eventually).

Eric Dunbar.