On Monday, March 17, 2003, at 08:39  PM, Scott Crick wrote:

> On 3/17/03 11:49 AM, "Mike Turner" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> Strangely enough the brightness controls have started working again
>> in OS
>> 9 :-) Once I had got OS X installed they started working in OS X.
>>
>> Unforunately, I don't know if was the OS 9.1 or 9.2 update or the OS X
>> install that fixed it. I didn't reset the PRAM or the power manager
>> (if
>> it exists on the Pismo), but I had to cycle the power after OS X hung
>> running fsck a 2nd time (!). Nothing serious fortunately.

On my wallstreet, (Powerbook G3 Series) the brightness controls would
behave strangely if some settings had not been saved in PRAM by OS9.
When the PRAM battery was dead, this would result in odd behavior
whenever the computer lost battery power (since there was no PRAM
backup) the solution was installing a new PRAM battery, entering OS9 to
save the displays control panel settings and then restarting into OS X.

-Andrew