On Wednesday, March 19, 2003, at 08:11  PM, Kevin Stevens wrote:

> Works fine, doesn't get too hot, spiffy performance.  I can sit here
> all day looking at the big, bright, lovely screen with the BIG FAT
> STUCK PIXELS IN THE MIDDLE THAT APPLE REFUSES TO REPLACE.  This is the
> kind of quality I'm thrilled to have spent my $3200 on.

it's actually not a quality issue... it's a limitation of todays LCD
technology. supposedly they ("they" being the LCD manufacturers; Apple
has almost nothing to do with this) TRY to cut LCD screens such that
bad pixels exist only at the very edges of the screen, but this isn't
always possible. bad pixels at the edges are almost imperceptible.

in the end, the trade off is this: we want good LCDs at reasonable
prices. perfect LCDs aren't really possible in any quantity - even if
they can't be readily seen, I can usually find 1-3 dead pixels on any
given LCD panel over 15" (this is common enough on LCD screens that I
get a lot of practice at it - and just as often with Dells and Gateways
and Compaqs as with Macs - dead pixels know no product bounds).
Sometimes it only happens with the screen set to a certain color, and
sometimes you have to look at the screen in a checkerboard pattern...
but they're there.

yes, dead pixels suck. i have 1 myself, green, in the middle of the top
left quarter of my screen. for the first week, i couldn't help but see
it every time i turned on my PowerBook. after that, i hardly notice it.
the real question ends up being this.... to be able to guarantee fewer
dead pixels, the cost of the LCDs would have to be substantially
higher. how much would you be willing to actually pay for a 17" laptop?
$4000? $5000? $10000? perfect SCREENS, much less laptops with perfect
screens, probably can't be made for even that much.

in the end, the LCD manufacturers make this distinction: we can sell
LCDs that have a low rate of dead pixels, or we can go into another
line of business, because no one will buy LCDs for what we'd have to
charge for them with no dead pixels... IF they can even be made with no
dead pixels.

shawn may know the exact quote, but IBM has said that they could make a
hard drive that will never fail. EVER. what a boon it would be to have
such a product on the market.... until you look at how much this drive
would cost!