--- Dennis Reeder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I initially found it a bit disturbing hearing that
> Apple would not
> permit unhindered discussion of their products.
> However, on
> reflection, the list belongs to Apple.  Imagine a
> bulletin board
> inside an Apple store where consumers can post
> messages.  Why should
> Apple (as a huge profitable powerful corporation)
> allow any
> discussion to appear on that bulletin board that
> didn't enhance their
> image and contribute to their bottom line?  This is
> definitely not
> Russia 1948!  In the former USSR a capitalist firm
> such as Apple
> would not be permitted to exist, not permitted to
> innovate, not
> permitted to compete nor would individuals be
> permitted any
> opportunity to criticize an industry. For crying out
> loud you are
> complaining about a corporations right to manage its
> image.  You
> don't like it tough.  Start your own company.  Your
> freedom of speech
> has not be infringed by an agency of the United
> States government.
> Cries of censorship are out of line.  You are
> absolutely free to
> discuss/praise/criticize Apple, Microsoft, Ford
> Motor Company and
> Joe's Carryout Store on your own list.  Or this
> list.  Or your very
> own newspaper or e'zine.  Why do you want to abridge
> Apple's freedom
> to operate their business as they see fit?   Your
> right to free
> speech and assembly is guaranteed by the United
> States Consitution
> not Apples papers of incorporation.  Look, I love my
> Mac but I have
> no illusions about Apple as a corporation.  They
> want to make a
> profit, as big a profit as possible.  Good for them.
>  I wish them all
> the success in the world.  Caveat emptor.

Ill tell you why I have a right to complain. Because I
bought one of Apples products and as a consumer of "a
huge, profitable, powerful CAPITALIST corporation"'s
(in your own words) product, consumers like me call
the shots, not the corporations themselves. A products
quality makes or breaks a company, not the companies
rules and regulations concerning the ability to
discuss it or not. In this particular case, I believe
a discussion about the speed of a product that I paid
$1799.00 for is a valid point to share with other
consumers who may or may not be researching the
strengths/weaknesses of a particular product. Someone
coming to Apple's CONSUMER based discussion board
would assume that it's a forum for users of that
product to discuss not only the pros of a particular
product, but also consumers TRUE experiences in the
real world. Apple saying that that is not an
"acceptable" topic is censorship in my opinion and I
stick by that.
But you're entitled to your opinion also.

Scott