on 07/06/2003 07:20, G-Books at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I just got a 400 Mhz Lombard with DVD yet.
> I needed the sellers guidance but I found the Apple DVD player and was
> able to see a little of a Bond DVD. Now to hunt up a S-video cable and
> see what it looks like on the larger screen.
> The DVD drive is a Matshita "DVD-ROM SR-8171 rev 080E" , is this the
> troublesome one? I have noticed that sometimes it won't recognize a CD
> or DVD. It also seems to start up periodically and move the heads. Is it
> supposed to be doing this?
> It's got 128 MB RAM, I'm thinking it would be worth upping that for OS
> 9.2, how much makes sense? Any preferred vendors?
> I need to get a expansion bay floppy, is the VST superdisk the best option?
> I'm also moving up the the keyprints on the screen problem, I can't see
> them when the screen is on, should I worry about them? Are they going to
> get worse?
> Lastly this machine came without the rubber feet and the IR port window.
> Any tips on sources? I've located a bottom case on E-bay that I could
> get the parts off, we'll see how cheap it goes.

First off, as a new Mac owner, remember NEVER to say anything negative about
your Apple equipment. If something isn't working right, it is either your
fault for using it incorrectly, if not abusing it, or it's the fault of the
third party manufacturer who is sabotaging Apple's reputation.

Now, to your specific questions:
- I'd recommend, sooner or later, getting a replacement Combo drive for your
flaky DVD; check xlr8yourmac.com under the Drive Compatibility database for
feedback on specific models that work well with the Lombard; personally, I
can recommend the Samsung SN-324B, which is a great little 24x10x24x8x combo
unit that is Apple compatible and slides nicely into the expansion bay to
replace the DVD
- re. RAM, check how it's configured; probably 64 + 64MB, so you'd lose one
of the banks in upgrading; I can recommend Other World Computing,
macsales.com, for a compatible 256MB module with lifetime warranty; priced
around $65, IIRC.
- 9.2 is great for the Lombard
- the VST Superdisk is a nice option, apparently it also works in OS X; I've
seen them on ebay for $50, though you might find a refurb one at
smartdisk.com for a lot less; they were on sale 50% off a while back, though
they may be out of stock.
- rubber feet and IR port are just cosmetic problems, I wouldn't go after a
full bottom case just to fix those (though naturally it depends on the
bidding); you can always get rubber feet, in different heights, from
hardware stores and they work great.

Good luck.

Chris