On Tuesday, May 27, 2003, at 04:36 PM, Byron Gardner wrote:

Regardless of what upgrade card you use you still have a 66 MHz bus to deal
with. That is why you get choppy speed for graphic intensive things. An
example, look at the screensaver called Flurry in OS X on a WallStreet with
an upgrade card and then on an iBook or new PowerBook. You will see a big
difference in the flow of the image. An upgraded WS can render the images
for the graphic but has just a small pipe to send it through with the 66 MHz
bus. The newer PB use 100 MHz or more on their buses and that makes a big
difference.

Yeh i see this problem, it's the same thing that tends to heel Beige G3s and earlier machines that have 45-66MHz Bus speeds. For the hell of it a 9600 (50MHz bus) with a G4/800 upgrade can number crunch as fast as most new powermacs but it can't render graphics in OS X anywhere near as fast as a B&W G3 (100MHz bus) with the same gfx card. Thus you point is proven.

I have two WS both upgraded with Sonnet Crescendo G3/500. They run OS X well
but lack the speed of a higher bus. Get as much RAM as you can too!

I have 288MB in my iBook. If the 256 out of it will fit and work in a Wallstreet I might try swapping the 128 in it ATM for the 256 to see what difference it makes.

Regardless of all this, TextEdit, Safari and Mail.app and a few messenger apps, oh and maybe iTunes 4, aren't very graphically intensive. I don't intend to use it for anything majorly stressful, I have a G3 for that with a Radeon.

--

Mark Benson

SilValleyPirate (AOL Instant Messenger)

Visit Flat Pack Macs Online at: