Jim wrote:
>Dear Listers,
>
>Imagine plugging your nice, shiny external firewire drive into your
>computer, and moments later hearing an explosion and seeing a jet of
>smoke shooting out the back of your enclosure!  This is exactly what
>happened to me THREE TIMES.
<snipped tale of exploding drive enclosures>

How embarrassing to be at a jobsite and have your portable drive explode?
Geez, heh heh heh, just glad it wasn't _me_!

And the exploding "great(!!) drive" demonstration must have been a laugh
riot too . . . NOT!

I've got 4 of the ME-910F model and I've recommended the same to tons of
folks just as did you. I sure hope those pyrocapacitors didn't find their
way into this model. I haven't plugged one into an iMac or eMac however
and if I do I'll now be _un-surprised_ if mine go bang too.

Nice that at least Triumph got back to you with an explanation. Based on
that communication you should have the Geeks replace those with a
different model or simply refund your costs.

That said, digikey.com (among others of course) has the part should you
decide to repair it yourself.

I'm curious what sort of voltage those iMac/eMacs are pumping out of
their FW ports. It sure sounds like a very poorly regulated PS putting
out an excessively high voltage. Can you measure some voltages, on both
the exploder i/eMacs and the non-exploders?

Thanks for the heads-up in any case!

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700