On 4/6/03 William wrote:
>I noticed a couple of cracks in the bottom part of my pismo case near
>the screw where the battery slot is. I wondered if there is a source
>for a replacement bottom piece/cover? I called Apple and they told me
>$600! I couldn't believe it.

This is a perfect application for Ambroid ProWeld. You probably don't
even have to disassemble the 'Book, just flex the case enough to slightly
open the cracks long enough to put the tiniest drop into the fissure.
Allow to cure overnight and it'll be good as new.

I've used this stuff on dozens of PowerBook case cracks, though almost
always on the bare part with ProWeld applied to the crack from the
inside. If the two parts match up exactly (as in this case of course) a
carefully done repair will be virtually invisible and as strong as the
original plastic.

Be careful not to spill any on the surrounding surface as it 'stains'.
Were I doing this I'd use some wort of masking all around, and right up
to, the cracks. Masking material needs to impervious to ProWeld, a little
testing before use might be a good idea.

<http://ambroid.com/Ambroid.html>
<http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LX0998>

I think many hobby shops carry it as well. At $2.79 for a couple oz.
bottle it's pretty good value. : -)

If not you're inclined to fix the crack, try searching eBay for pismo and
you'll find tons of Pismo bottoms for much, much less than $600. Heck I
just bought a complete working 400mhz Pismo for very little more than
that.

hth,

Dan K (no relationship to Ambroid, just a very satisfied customer)