> On Sunday, June 8, 2003, at 04:33  pm, Tivo wrote:
>
>> Which kbps setting is best for input to iTunes of OTC jazz CDs?
>>
>> I know very little about this, but was recently fiddling with the
>> possibilities and saw the above choices.
>
> While all replies about how hard to answer this question are, the
> simple answer, which i think is all you were looking for is, that AAC @
> 128 kbps is a very good rate for the average listener, and better than
> mp3 @ 128kbps.
>
> I believe that apple says that [EMAIL PROTECTED] is equivalent to [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> i hope that helps. I used to encode my mp3's at 160kbps, and I was
> pretty happy with that, and I have been pleased with AAC at 128kbps. I
> think the best thing you could do would be trial and error though.
>
> Cheers,
> matt

Thanks. It was, and is, set at 160kbps, but I noticed the possible settings
and wondered... I haven't been unhappy with iTunes playing or the burning
results, but there's always room for improvement.

To answer some questions, I'm using a pair of AC-driven medium size Labtec
speakers, and with a splitter also placed a pair of cheapo pawn shop
additions low and behind the Pismo (on a raised platform, with an Adesso
keyboard below). The sound is... Music, and I'm grateful for what I have.

The sound in my auto is less acceptable, though the speakers cost me $100
(Kickers); the Labtecs were $30 or so. I was told that an amp in the auto
would help, but the CD player was $300, so this s--t is getting out of hand
(for my style). Would an amp do it? If so, I'll perhaps get one a bit down
the road. I got disgusted with the sound after the size of the investment.
As it is, I'm also grateful for the sound in the auto!   T