On 6/14/03 1:11 AM, "John Beringer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Ben (and all knowledgeable others out there),
>
> I'd love to try a software based solution in a tiny wifi network( my wife
> and I scenario) but have had a heck of a time finding any good, detailed
> info about this on the net.
> Ideally, I like to share our DSL connection that is wired to my destop G4
> (10.2)  wirelessly with her bronze power book running 9.2 using the wavelan
> card I recently bought. I think I need a airport card and I'm guessing that
> it could be one of the old (not extreme ) ones. But I'm not sure...
>
> All told, I have no real grasp of networking anyway - it makes me feel like
> someone threw me back into 2nd grade and I'm failing ! - but this setup
> would be great for us.
>
> Any useful pointers or links would be much appreciated.
>
> JB
>

> On 6/12/03 4:49 AM, "Robert Benjamin Johnston" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 6/11/03 2:02 PM, "Tony Coult" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>
>>> I currently have an OS9 iMac configured as a software Airport basestation
>>> for networking to an OS9 Pismo. (Cable internet connection from Blueyonder
>>> in the UK). If I upgrade to X will this still work, or will I have to buy a
>>> "real" Airport?
>>> Thanks for any hints TONY
>>>

>> I was in a similar situation and I had no trouble setting up OS X and
>> Airport.  I am running three computers off the same base station: my wife's
>> dual G4, my pismo, and a wallstreet.  The G4 and pismo are in OS X, the
>> Wallstreet is in OS 9.  All of them run without a problem.  If you have a
>> problem, just post to the list, I'm sure everyone can talk you through it.
>>
>> Ben
>> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I'll try to get a post out soon with the Airport configuration I have.  It
may take a couple of days, as my the hard drive on the Pismo crapped out.
Not good at all!  I usually back up every week, but missed last week.  $500
to recover lost data on a drive.  Neither OS X or OS 9 install or Norton
Utilities would recognize the disk.  So, I ended up downloading Disk Warrior
onto my wife's Dual G4, setting up my Pismo in a firewire target mode, and
after about an hour, managed to get everything back.  Big deep breath of
relief.  By the way, Disk Warrior gets two thumbs up!

Ben
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>