I tried to post to G-books (for the first time) and it bounced back my
message, ill havta figure that one out later.

As many as 10% of all of the first 1999 powerbook lombards had (have) a
daughtercard that has a faulty chipset.   The problems manifest themselves
in the RAM upgrades.   It has been said that they can only run the original
64 MB ram that shipped with it without trouble.   I have one and have been
running 192 MB without much trouble, i bought it used from Half.com and only
ran into trouble when i tried to add a 256 Mb module.   I immediately got
severe glitches and program crashes, slow startups etc. etc..... It
absolutely would not allow me to re-install OSX without failing, untill i
put the original ram chips (that came with mine) back in... Its said that
the problems get uglier with processor intensive applications, or running
more than one application.   I am only using mine to get online and dont
suffer many problems other than AOL quiting unexpectadly...

There is a program that you can download from either the lowendmac websight
or xlr8yourmac.com.   It runs in OS 9 and will tell you if you have the
faulty processor.   I originally did a Google search for 'Lombard problems
OSX' which led me to the articles about the faulty daughtercards... I can
only hope you got bad RAM cause its a cheaper fix than replacing the
daughtercard.

Brian Hunt
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Frustrated Lombard owner whom would like to whack Steve Jobs upside his head
with my Powerbook.