Hi All!

I've been lurking on the list for a while and I'm usually a day or 2 behind in reading the MSG's but have learned lots from you, Thanks! I recently bought a pristine Lombard 333. It was an Executive's machine and spent most of it's first life parked on a desk, then it was shelved when the HD died. The battery was occasionally charged by a well meaning sys admin.

SInce I've had the Lombard, I've replaced the HD with a Toshiba 40G (MK4019GAX), installed 512MB of RAM, OSX.2.6, over-clocked the CPU to 433Mhz, and have made it my primary machine.

Ever since the installation of X.2.6, battery life has been less than impressive. From a maximum of 3:10 reported, after charging over night, to the machine going to sleep while reporting 2+ hrs remaining. Pressing the battery button at this time would show just the first LED flashing. Last night, with more than 2 hrs remaining, it shut-down. Not sleeping, shut right down. Pressing the battery button got no response. I plugged in and the battery display just shows 'Calculating...' and the first battery LED just flashes. Date and time were reset as well.

I can use the machine on the power adapter just fine, but that defeats the purpose of having a laptop. I've booted into 9 and run the battery reset utility (which claimed success), reset the PRAM and Power manager, tried other power adapters, visually inspected the power jack for damage... If I remove the power adapter the machine shuts down instantly. Plugging back in results in the sleep LED flashing and the hard drive spinning up and down. Date and time have reset when I start up.

Where do I go next? I've read conflicting reports as to what to try next. PRAM Battery? Some say not to bother since it is rechargeable and won't charge until the main battery is charged, and may take 48 hrs to fully charge. Battery? Expensive thing to try, but I could possibly justify another battery to the wife. [;^) PMU board? I see them all the time on eBay, and am not worried about opening the machine up (I've replaced a HD in a clamshell iBook...).

If it is the battery, what can be done to maximize it's life? I shouldn't complain, since this battery is probably the original, but they are expensive.

Thanks for your insights!

Dave