At 4:55 pm -0400 3/7/03, David A. Schwartz wrote:
Does anybody know of a way that I might be able to use my Epson Photo 700 with my new ibook 600? The printer has a serial port and a parallel port. I've seen a parallel-to-USB adapter listed on Epson's site and that seems to be the only way that they will discuss the matter. If anybody has any experience with this item please let me know. I also have an Entrega USB-Serial unit that doesn't seem to work with the printer under OS 9.2.2, although it does work okay with a serial Palm device. It doesn't appear to work at all under OS 10.2.6 with any device. I've tried the Gimp-print and Ghost-writer schemes but the Entrega unit seems to be the deal-breaker. My research has led me to the Keyspan USB-Serial unit which advertises itself as being Epson-compatible. Again, is there anybody out there with experience with this unit?

David,

I have the Stylus Photo 700 which I am using with the Epson Parallel-to USB adapter on an iMac G3 600MHz. However, as I am using OS 10.1.5 and Epson has not issued (and apparently will not issue) an OS X driver for the Stylus Photo 700, I can only print from Classic applications.

It works quite well but, given the price of the adapter (if you have to buy it new), you might be better off to buy a new printer, especially if you can sell the old one to someone whose computer has a serial port.

Because the OS requirement for GIMP-Print is 10.2, I have not tried that yet. When I get around to installing 10.2 (or maybe I will wait for 10.3), then I will try it.

Herb Goodfriend