on 06/07/03 19:09, Edward Jackson at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I have a Wallstreet (512MB, 30GB HD, G4 500MHZ upgrade...ie I've put
> some cash into this machine)...and I have an external firewire CD
> Burner and a Sony Ericsson T68i that uses Bluetooth.......I've had
> nothing but great experiences but recently any cardbus card (USB or
> FIREWIRE) inserted shows up generic without even acknowledging what
> type of card it is....ie firewire and usb DEAD.  I've tried everything
> to no avail...bluetooth is permantly UNAVAILABLE....I'm running 10.2.6
> and have read that some people have had problems with PCMIA slots and
> 10.2.6 but it worked in the past (I honestly can't remember when I
> upgraded to 10.2.6)...isync and ical and address book were
> flawless....now the cards won't even eject most of the time.....perhaps
> the drive is dead.....any ideas.....PLEASE HELP.

I'm not sure if your problem is software or hardware, since you mention that
the cards won't eject most of the time, but FYI, I had to replace the PC
card cage when I had a Wallstreet 3 times, over the period of about 9
months. The mechanism is not very well designed and was quickly corrected on
the subsequent Lombard and Pismo. The problem is that as soon as you insert
a card, you're putting quite a pressure on the 2 springs in there that serve
to eject the card. After a little while, the mechanism becomes misaligned,
resulting in intermittent non-functioning cards. I had the PC Card Cage
replaced twice by PowerBook Parts <http://www.pbparts.com/>, the 2nd time
free. The 3rd time, I did replace it myself, but be warned that you have to
completely strip down the laptop in order to get to the cage.

If you have an OS 9 installation on your Wallstreet, you could try to reboot
in 9 and see how your cards do there. If you still have the same problem,
then it's probably hardware. If not, then it might be the latest update to
OS X.

Good luck!

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

bytesexual /bi:t`sek'shu-*l/ adj.: [rare] Said of hardware, denotes
willingness to compute or pass data in either big-endian or little-endian
format (depending, presumably, on a mode bit somewhere). See also NUXI
problem.