As many of you may already know, I've had a problem with the backlight on
my TiBook's screen since I first bought it -- but couldn't afford to be
without it until I bought something to use while it spent a week going to
Apple and coming back.

Well, last week I sent it to Apple. This week it came back. Thanks to
AppleCare, I have a brand new screen -- not just a backlight repair. I've
also had the keyboard replaced under AppleCare when the space bar stopped
working after about two years. (And my wife's had the keyboard on her 14"
iBook replaced two or three times, also under AppleCare.)

Desktop computer repairs are generally few, far between, and reasonably
priced. Laptop are more likely to break (since they are transported),
tend to be a bit more fragile to begin with (thin screens, lightweight
components), and have horrendously expensive repair costs.

My advice is to seriously consider AppleCare when buying a new 'Book --
and if yours is less than a year old, consider adding it before the
warranty expires. The screen replacement probably would have cost at
least 3x what I paid for AppleCare.

Dan the listmom

--
Dan Knight, president, Cobweb Publishing, Inc.
 <http://cobwebpublishing.com> <http://lowendmac.com>

"In a free country we punish men for crimes they commit but never for the
opinions they have." Harry Truman