Now that you mention it Bruce, I did fool around with
my modem settings a couple of weeks ago because
I wanted to send a fax to my dr. I am wondering
if this is when it all started.

Is the modem plugged into the phone line?
Is, by any chance, the "squeaking, whistling" coincident with an incoming phone call?
Could it be your fax software trying to answer? :)

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards http://www.zws.com/
Learn how to build high-performance embedded systems on a budget!
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20