At 10:33 PM +0200 7/31/03, Laurence TeknoLiber wrote:
>Hi!
>
>I have a G4 Titanium 550MHz with two 256MB DIMMs.
>
>It gets very hot around the top right hand corner, so
>much so that  I have a small 12V fan blowing on it to
>stop it from getting VERY hot as it has actually crashed
>in the past (without the fan).
>
>This is more of a problem with the power supply plugged
>in (I believe) and this is mainly how I use it.
>
>I have mentioned my RAM as I have heard that this
>can have something to do with it...  (?)
>
>I have spoken to one other guy with a 550 and he said his
>got very hot too, but another guy with a 1GHz who used
>to have a 4 or 500MHz had never had a problem...

My tiBook 550 gets warm where the power connector enters, but not hot.

Does the internal fan run?

Mine does during the summer when I do a lot of CPU intensive stuff, but it never
overheats.

It's possible your memory uses more power than normal, try running with only 1 DIMM. I
suspect that the first DIMM would be an Apple DIMM. Keep in mind that with less
memory, the disk will be busier as the virtual memory system thrashes around, so your
power may in fact go up with less memory.

>I used to use the Mac at work, got made redundant and
>was offered to buy it (and bought it) for 6000SEK (600Euro),
>but am unsure of whether to keep it or sell it...

in good shape, it's worth a lot more than 600 dollars.

Paul