At 8:42 AM +0200 8/3/03, Laurence TeknoLiber wrote:
>When I have amy keyboard connected through my
>powered 4-port USB hub (iMac kbd short cable), it doesn't
>work the way it does if it's plugged directly into the Mac,
>e.g. the power key etc.
>
>Is there an explaination ?

Yes. When the computer is off, small amount of current from the power supply's standby
power output is bled into one of the USB lines through a resistor. When the power on
key is pressed, this current source is shorted out. A voltage comparator on the mother
board senses the corresponding voltage change and signals the power supply to turn on.
It is a very elegant hack that allows an otherwise un-powered USB bus to do something
it was never designed to do - send a signal when it is off.

The hub inserts a USB transceiver between incoming and outgoing USB signals, and this
transceiver blocks the signal current.

Paul