On Monday, August 4, 2003, at 03:44 pm, G-Books wrote:

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 10:10:56 -0400 Subject: Re: PB network problem From: Lewin Edwards <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> In-Reply-To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> Message-Id: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

I have a 12" PB with a wifi card. The PB has a static IP address.
Occasionally I find that when using the ethernet connection the PB is
no longer able to transmit or receive across the network - no
browsing,

What does ifconfig en0 tell you, though? ipconfig getipaddr doesn't work for me at all under OSX (I get the same error you do).

-- Lewin A.R.W. Edwards http://www.zws.com/ Learn how to build high-performance embedded systems on a budget! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0750676094/zws-20 ***************************

Thanks for the various responses on my post about PN networking issues.

I'm on a home network, with all IP addresses statically configured, and I'm certain that there's nothing else on the network with the same IP address as the PB en0, so it shouldn't be IP address conflict. All devices connect tp a 3Com 10bT hub, which in turn is connected to an ADSL router. There's nothing wrong with the router or the hub; whenever this problem happens with the PB, another machine (Win2K laptop) continues working fine, including external comms through the ADSL router.

Since I first posted I've tried something my dealer suggested, which was to do a 'clean re-install'. My system disk installs 10.2.3, and I downloaded 10.2.6 combo upgrade. This time I haven't done that - I've got a 10.2.4 upgrade CD that I burned, and I've installed that. I'll report back if that seems to make any difference. Ah, no it doesn't, I've just checked with my normal command (ipconfig getifaddr en0) and got the error message again - I'm on Wireless at the moment. Incidentally, when en0 is happy, that command returns the IP address currently in use on that port. Thinking about it, I'm not surprised to see the error message at the moment - I switched Locations when I unplugged the laptop & moved downstairs (wireless connection) - my two Locations each have just one working network port; one has Airport, the other ethernet. At the moment I'm using a Location that only has airport enabled, so reasonably enough that port is switched off completely, therefore no IP address is assigned. But this error has happened when I've been connected via ethernet, and have not been switching locations, hence there's no reason why the port should error. Maybe I'll go back to one Location with both ports enabled.

But it's interesting that other people are seeing the same error message that I am. I have to say, I'm not impressed with this - this is exactly the sort of thing I'm used to with PCs, and that I never had with my Lombard running 10.2.4 though ethernet and airport. Ah well.....

Tom Burke