Thanks to an excellent Data recovery service in Hertfordshire, UK, (email me
for the reference if you want it) I've just emerged unscathed from a
potentially disastrous hard disk wipeout. The experience might be
instructive.
Pismo running OS9.1. Recently-installed 40 gig hard disk. Importing some
tracks from CD into iTunes when it crashed. Restarted only to get the
flashing "I can't find an OS" folder. Never seen this in my life before.
Fiddled about a bit to no avail then decided to install an OS on the second
of the two partitions I'd set up for the new drive. Started up from this ok.
(Though ominously getting a "This disk is unreadable do you want to
initialise it?" box first. Said no of course) However, my Entourage emails
weren't present - presumably on the now-dead OS on Partition 1.So I ran Disk
Doctor on Partition 1 hoping to cure it. It found some "major problems" and
instructed me to fix them. I did (but didn't make a note of what they were
sadly). Restarted and - oh horror! - the first partition, with my work on,
had disappeared. Apple system profiler said it was "not mounted." Well I
could see that...
My rescuer in Hertfordshire got it back for me, reformatted the disk,
installed Os 9.2.2 and all seems well. What is interesting is that he said
almost all the problems he'd seen of similar type were on partitioned disks.
This is contrary to what we are told. "Partition a new disk." But I needed
no persuasion. No partitions! Any comments? Any speculations as to why this
all happened?TONY