MEEP! Wiebe Wilbers wrote:
Possibly, or, maybe we only notice it when USING iTunes ;). Other than
during music playback, the Mac doesn't make much sound by which to judge the
balance.
I noticed the exact same problem (on my iBook 800, 10.2.6) a couple of nights ago when I plugged in headphones to do some compression work on a concert recording in Sound Studio. At first, I thought that six months' worth of being tossed into my backpack while I was at work had started to take its toll on my headphones, or that maybe the jack was going flaky.
The night before, I had been having trouble with audio input (from a DAT recorder, via an iMic) coming out not-quite-balanced on one of the iBook's USB ports: when I plugged the iMic into the port closest to the hinge, software play-through worked just fine, but the left channel was WAY louder than the right channel; when I used the port closer to the trackpad, play-through was disabled but the signal was balanced.
At this point, I wonder if play-through really WAS screwed up. I'm tempted to try to re-create the problem, keeping an eye out for gratuitous output balancing on OS X's part.

-me