Personal note for you who wonder which Linux distribution to use.

When I started playing with Linux on Pbook G4 I tried to install Debian.
Documentation was very scetchy - some web sites describe how they did it,
but I have not found any 'complete' install guide that would help me install
debian with the X-win.

Duringg install I had few minor problems that I could resolve, but all I got
was Debian in text mode (yeah I had 9 consoles, but I wanted also X). As a
matter of fact I never got the X-windows working. I got a far as a gray
screen with login window that did not let me in even as root. Pretty
frustrating experience after  being pampered by OS X. Don't even ask me how
much time I spent trying to make it work (well it was over 2 nights).

After that I ordered YDL 3.0 Geek Edition CDs (yeah there is 30USD price tag
on them, but well I can skip 10 lattes in Starbucks). I had totally
different experience with this distribution. The installation was a breeze
and KDE worked immediatelly after install. This distribution is very very
well put together. I would recommend it to anyone who wants to try Linux on
their machine and has no or like me outdated (over 6 years) experience with
Linux.

Jan

Hi,

How about Freebsd? Any experience with it?

Demetrius

--
"If you love everything, you will perceive the Divine mystery in things. Once you perceive it, you will begin to comprehend it better every day. You will come at last to love the whole world with an all-embracing love."

Dostoevsky