> From: Steve Kerney <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> 2.  Disk Partitioning:  I've presently partioned my 40G drive into a just less
> than 8 for X (yes the "1st" per previous posts on this forum) and 3 others (1
> for OS 8, 1 for OS 9 and 1 for "Data").  A)  Will X load on a partion created
> by 9 or do I have to reformat and then load X perhaps using the OS X install
> disk?  B)  Can I use my existing OS9 partition as the "Classic" portion of X
> or do I have install 9 with 10 and if so does it have to live on the "1st 8
> MB" along with X?  C)  What's the latest O-Pin-Yun on partitioning with X
> (e.g., to partition or not to partition)?

On that type of hardware, you can partition under OS 9 to get a 7.9GB + #GB
partition split so you can properly install OS X. X doesn't care where you
put OS 9 for Classic, so that won't be a problem. (The reason why you have
to partition is due to some hold-overs from old versions of Open Firmware
from the pre-G3 Powermacs)

For this same reason, I don't think you need a firmware update before
installing X, although I would go to Apple's website and check anyways.

- Adam