My niece has been having trouble lately with her Wallstreet (a 266MHz
model, I think).

A few weeks ago she was nonplussed with the computer's demand to see a
technician: a memory problem. I removed her two 64MB chips and put in a
256MB chip. It seemed to work. Then she complained of start-up problems,
and it sounded like the memory check to me, so I told her to turn off the
memory check, which was taking too much time at startup....

Now she writes me this:

   "My computer seems functional and happy once it turns on,
    but so far it follows a rather interesting and alarming
    pattern.  Every time I turn it off (as in when I turn it
    off every night), it follows the same start-up pattern.
    I press the power button and it starts to hum and (if I
    leave it) it just gets warm like it's trying to boot up
    but there's no chime. If I do the restart process
    immediately, it doesn't continue, but if I wait a while
    and do the restart process it will do the Mac-chimey-
    noise. About 5 to 10 seconds after the chime, it goes
    through a very curious and somewhat frightening series
    of noises and screams (but the series is always the
    exact same).  Some of them sound like breaking glass
    and some just sound like a crackly radio.  It almost
    sounds like there is a check of some sort running
    through the hardware under the keyboard.  But my
    computer always boots up right after the noises and
    works dandily.  My roommate thinks it may be a hardware
    connection problem of some kind in the start-up process."

Any ideas?

- t

"I know . . . I know . . . I use too many ellipses. . . ."