on 09/09/03 20:32, Peter Stein at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> I guess the subject states it best but more information helps. My Pismo
> G3/500/1gbRAM/10.2.6/20gb(stock)HD/Airport takes an incredibly long time to
> boot as well as shut down. I am startled at this due to its normally snappy OS
> 9 boot and shutdown processes. When my PowerMac 8600/g3-400/272mbRAM/10.2.6
> using stock (and older) scsi hard drives beats the pants off of the Pismo, I
> know something is wrong.
>
> I had noticed it first when Jaguar was initially installed. It has never gone
> away or improved. I did try the PRAM reset (several times in a row) several
> times but that made no appreciable difference. It is about 1:15sec grey
> w/apple screen and then in less than 15 seconds will be at login screen. Once
> the blue background hits, things are very snappy.
>
> On shutting down, from login screen, it takes almost 45 seconds to go black.
> From desktop it takes as long as 1:20sec. This to me is ridiculous. In OS 9 it
> would shut down before the trackpad button had even gone 'click'.
>
> Any helpful ideas? Thanks for list brain power.

I know that one of the first process to run before you get to the blue
screen is fschk, or 'file system check'. Have you had your hard disk checked
by a disk utility recently? If the disk is going bad, everytime you restart,
fschk might have to repair damages on it, thus increasing the time to
boot...

-Laurent.