On Tuesday, September 23, 2003, at 06:48 PM, Geoff Doctor wrote:

Hello, About a year ago I bought two used M7318 batteries from someone on the swaplist. They have worked fine up until The last 2 months, where they have both gone from holding 3 hour charges down to 1:34 and 1:48. Power resets have not helped. I do use these batteries daily for school, lounging around the house with wireless, etc.. And I wear them down to about 10% each and charge them overnight on a daily basis. I take it theres no way to get the life back up in these batteries, but before I buy more, do you think the powerbook caused this?

Also in June I sold a Lombard to a friend, and included two of my pismo batteries, one holding a 3 hr charge and one holding a 1:40. I was at his place this weekend and to my surprise the they only lasted 1:16 and :59. This was a HUGE decrease in three months time. He never uses his on battery power, so I found this strange. Also on the lombard it took 5 hours to charge both batteries, while they only lasted for 2.

Your question "Can a Laptop kill a battery?"

Your batteries are dying a slow death and this is typical of repeated charge and discharge cycles. If you want your batteries to last, then don't use them. They are only good for a few hundred charge and discharge cycles. I always plug in my laptop if power is available.

Do a Google query to find manufacturers of Lithium cells and read the specifications on the cells.

Use them AND lose them.

Paul