I use a PCMCIA card with a Pismo 400 - OsX 10.2.6 & the software I got from this sight. - http://wirelessdriver.sourceforge.net/

There seems to be a list specifically for this question, go here
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?forum=wirelessdriver-support

Look here too - http://wireless-starter-kit.com/airportblog/

The base station & card I use where a gift, so I would not suggest getting my sort - mostly as it has no way to install an external or booster antenna if you wanted to - NETGEAR MA 401 - 802.11b

It is not perfect, but it works...

If I would be buying a new card, I would get a 802.11G card with an external antenna connector - which one I am not sure on yet probably Cisco Aironet 350 Series Client Adapters - but, I have no pressure to buy a faster card yet, as my base station is also 'old style' 802.11b - when we have a bit more capital we'll get the Cisco 350 setUp at 802.11G

They seem to be one of the most compatible right out of the box * Support of popular operating systems Mac OS 9.x, Mac OS X, Linux MS-DOS, Windows 95, Windows 98/98SE, Windows 2000, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows XP

http://cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps4555/products_data_sheet09186a0080088828.html

for cheaper possibilities look at - http://www.linksys.com/

They do not support Apple it seems out of the box, but I think the Linksys is on the list from the OsX wireless driver I mentioned above

look here for an interesting comparison of 802.11 A vrs B vrs G

http://www.linksys.com/Products/wirelessstandards.asp

I did, once-upon-a-time have various PCMCIA cards running with Os9, but not all of these will work with Os9

and note this article - When Is 54 Not Equal to 54?

A Look at 802.11a, b, and g Throughput
by Matthew Gast, author of *802.11 Wireless Networks: The Definitive Guide*

08 Aug 2003 (updated: 14 Aug 2003)

Now that the 802.11g standard has been finalized, comparisons with the other standards in the 802.11 family are inevitable. One conclusion that is frequently drawn is that 802.11g offers similar speeds to 802.11a. After all, both products are advertised as having a data rate of 54 Mbps.

This article develops a simple model for the maximum TCP throughput of
802.11 networks so that a comparison can move beyond a simple comparison of nominal bit rates. According to the model, 802.11g is significantly faster than 802.11b. In a network consisting only of 802.11g clients, it is even lightly faster than 802.11a. However, "protection" mechanisms added to 802.11g to ensure backwards compatibility with legacy 802.11b clients can cut the throughput by 50 percent or more.

More here - http://www.oreillynet.com/lpt/a/4085

please let us know how it goes...

het beste & goed luck.... BB

we are trying our best to do the same thing we did 11 years ago now for internet access in Amsterdam - give it away for free...

It is what has made Amsterdam one of the most wired and connected cities on the planet.... ;-)

Is that possible? Assume that my local coffee shop has a wireless network of some sort. Is there a PCMCIA (sp?) card that I can install that allows that?

I don't know too much about public wireless notebook use - is there a web-site that someone could point me to that gives a quick tutorial on that?

thanks,

--
Matthew D. O'Conner, Attorney at Law
Seattle, Washington, USA  -  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]