Thanks....

Seeing as I need this laptop for work / school (I use it from 8AM until I go to sleep) I can't afford to be without it for any period of time. Today I rode up to the apple store in soho, plunked down my credit card, and walked out with a new 15" AlBook. The machine is amazing. Once I've migrated everything off the old TiBook, I'm going to run it as an MP3 server....that is after I tear it apart to find out what the problem was.

Thanks for the help....It would have been nice to have been spared the expense of the new laptop, but oh well....

Brendan
On Tuesday, October 7, 2003, at 08:55  AM, Joe Ellis wrote:

While it eliminates your hard drive it does not eliminate other
possibilities such as a loose connection or perhaps a cracked circuit board.
It's my understanding that Apple has a flat charge for repairing Powerbooks.
If you are not comfortable doing a teardown rebuild yourself, it may pay for
you to take it to them for repair.
Just a thought.

Joe Ellis

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brendan McAlpine" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "G-Books" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Monday, October 06, 2003 5:27 PM
Subject: Re: is my powerbook dead?

Haven't dropped it recently, but it does take its share of abuse in my
shoulder bag when I ride the subway, carry it to school / work for the
last 3 years.....

I tried connecting and booting up from an external firewire drive and I
get the same results. This would eliminate the internal drive as a
problem, and would also eliminate kernel panics because of the OS
10.2.8 update as the machine displayed the same issue when booting from
an external drive with a fresh install of jaguar.....

Should I just chalk this up to wear and tear finally taking its toll?
It doesn't always lock up when I move it, and sometimes it just locks
when I am doing random things like writing an email, or unplugging the
power cord.

argh...i wanted to wait for a G5 powerbook, but it looks like I may
have a trip to the apple store in my immediate future....anyone have
any other ideas or similar experiences?

TIA

Brendan