I wanted to report to the list that my new 15" G4 Al-Book latch problems
were fixed by Apple and fixed with a turnaround of only 3 days!  I was
amazed at how efficient the process went.  They sent me Airborne a laptop
shipping case with full instructions for packing and shipping via Airborne
Express.  I was able to track the process of the repair during all the time
the laptop was out of my sight, and it was returned to me with the latch
working precisely and perfectly.  While they had the book they also checked
the battery and found it okay after an installation of the original
rendition of OS 10.2.8 and a subsequent install of the later corrected
release by Apple.  I like the Al-Book very much and can say without
hesitation it is the most delightful Apple PowerBook I've ever owned even
with the initial funky latch situation.