on 28/10/03 18:53, Eric Morrison at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> Hi:
>
> Two questions actually.
>
> First, I have a 333MHz Lombard (I know it's a 333 because that's what's
> printed on the label on the bottom) which we purchased new several
> years ago. I just put Panther on it to try it out (by the way, it runs
> GREAT with Panther) and the strange thing is that it reports that the
> machine has a 400MHz CPU! I downloaded "Overclocker's Helper" and ran
> that and it reported a 400MHz CPU as well. As we bought this machine
> new I can confirm that I never swapped out the CPU board. Anyone know
> what's going on and if this is really a 400MHz machine?
>
> Second, I have a 256MB RAM chip originally purchased for the original
> Powerbook G4/400MHz which has been in and running on that machine since
> we got it. We just upped this Powerbook G4 to 1GB so I took the 256MB
> chip from out of the G4 and put it in this same Lombard but it only
> registers as 128MB of RAM! Then took this chip out of the Lombard and
> put it in my Pismo to test it and it shows up as the full 256MB? Anyone
> know what the deal is with this?
>
> Thanks for any guidance/explanation you can provide!
>
> ... Eric

I don't know about the answer to your first question. What I would suggest
is to download XBench and run a full test of your Lombard. Then, compare
your score to the other online scores available from the XBench site. That
should give you an idea.

As for your memory problem, it is probably because the chip is high density,
which the latest PowerBook models can use, but probably not your Lombard
which sees only half of it.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

elder days n.: The heroic age of hackerdom (roughly, pre-1980); the era of
the PDP-10, TECO, ITS, and the ARPANET. This term has been rather
consciously adopted from J. R. R. Tolkien's fantasy epic "The Lord of the
Rings". Compare Iron Age; see also elvish and Great Worm.