I have received Panther but not yet installed it. I have a LaCie 400FW "Studiodrive"
I bought in 2000 or 2001. I don't know whether this is equivalent to a d2 drive.

So I asked LaCie:

product name: StudioDrive serial: 754105180297 6774A purchase date: 2001 interface: Firewire

I am upgrading to Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther).  Should I apply
your firmware update in your Updater 6.4.8a  to this drive?

their answer was:

Yes please do so from an OS9 machine.
Also backup any important data on the drive prior to this

Wait until you have finished the 10.3 install before you attach the
drive.

Mike