What I tell other people is what do you want to do with computer or laptop , and I say dream look ahead a little . What I mean is the Macs can be upgrade to last a while and will do alot of stuff 2 or 3 years down the road . once you can awser that then look for the CPU or Laptop and you might find used one and then you may have to buy new . But I'm head of Apple user group and we talk about this alot