Hi:

I have an external Firewire HD that I'm currently using as a backup disk for the HD on my Titanium Powerbook. I purchased it from Piranha Technology (http://www.pirahnatechnology.com/index.asp) over a year ago and it seems to work fine (after I sent a previous one back to them and they swapped it out for me for a newer one).

However, this is my delimma. I want to update to Panther from Jaguar, but I want to backup my Titanium HD before updating to Panther (I use Synchronize Pro X as my BU software ... with the backup being a bootable image). However, I want to update my external Firewire Drive from Piranha before doing so. I have attempted to get a hold of Piranha, but their tech support email was bounced back to me ... I cannot get a hold of them via the phone. What I want is to know what patch has to be applied to the drive I have from them (a list of those found here ... http://www.apple.com/macosx/firewire800specialmessage.html). Is there a way I can determine which flavor of Oxford my drive is so I can apply the update?

Also, when trying to get a hold of Piranha, I eventually turned to the Better Business Bureau in their area. The BBB told me they have a history of not returning phone calls, emails going unanswered, merchandise sent that is faulty, etc., etc. I told the BBB that Pirahna is using the BBB logo on their website and that really caught her interest. I would not do any business with them ... I thought I was saving some bucks, now it's coming back to haunt me.

Any ideas there ... or can I just upgrade to Panther 10.3.1 and not worry about the Firewire glitch with the external drive?

A 2nd item ... I want to move all my stuff from my current Tibook to a new Superdrive Tibook. My wife is getting my current one that only has a combo-drive. Can I just image my HD over to the new Superdrive one? Is there a better way of doing that ... I'm afraid I'll lose items on the new Superdrive book that aren't on the combo drive book. I've never done a target FW hookup, I know it's not difficult ... I just want to make sure I'm not overwriting anything that I'd miss later on.

I've also been holding off buying a Family Pack of Panther until the CD's are burned with the 10.3.1 (and have the .1 update). Is there any logic to that or should I just go ahead and get it. I have a broadband connection, so downloading or burning a CD of the update is not an issue. I'd just like to have the most current copy of the OS ... according to the rumour sites, yet another release (.2) is about ready to come out that solves even a few more items.

Insights/solutions welcomed ...

Bryan Forbes [EMAIL PROTECTED]