My daughter is calling from across the country with an iBook that this
morning would not boot with the end of life battery (we are awaiting a
new battery from MacMall). So over the phone we were able to get it to
boot without the battery. She goes to the store and comes back to a
Locked up screen. Rebooting, starts to boot, bong. then nothing. No
screen activity. Power supply light is green. She has removed the 256
meg dimm and tried booting to it reseated, then without it. No change.
Cannot boot into single user mode, Cannot boot to open Firmware. She is
rapidly approaching finals. HELP!

Maybe you should try to reset the power manager?

Luis