Okay, I try to keep up with this list, but it's tough given the volume, so I'm not sure whether this one has been asked before. I'll give it a shot.

My Pismo suddenly has started behaving badly, and before I spend $ to fix it, I want to get some input on whether and where to spend that money.

A few days ago, I was working on the computer when the internal drive suddenly (and audibly) spun down. It sounded/seemed as if I had just put the computer to sleep, only of course I hadn't, and the screen didn't go off. Only the drive. The trackpad would work for a couple more minutes -- in that I could move the pointer around, but not do anything else -- and then the computer would freeze. This happened a couple of times, then stopped, but this morning happened a couple more times.

Once when this happened, I closed the computer. Nothing happened for a while, and then it went to sleep naturally, as generally happens when I close the computer. Then I opened it back up, it started up, and acted as if nothing had happened. However, the other times, it has just been frozen, and I'm forced to reboot.

I've run NortonDD (an old version), and I've run Diskwarrior, and I thought that solved the thing, because it didn't do this for a full 36 hours, but then it just did it twice this morning.

Is this a hardware problem that will require a new drive, or is it a corrupted OS/preference file somewhere?

Oh, I'm still running OS 9.2.2. And to forestall the obvious questions: I haven't installed any new hardware or software or made any changes to the configuration in months, if not longer.

Any help or advice people can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
--
David Nieporent
[EMAIL PROTECTED]