I do not understand probably, but I do live and work in a Japanese
office here and I have no trouble sending Japanese or English
e-mails in Mail. I also run 10.2.8, however I'll try to explain,
when you first open mail go into the menu and choose Format
pick your text encoding then. This is before you hit compose a
new e-mail do you follow me? Then after you do this hit compose
and the setting should be there. For some reason mail will not let you
choose text encoding after you click compose. Did I understand
you correctly? If not Sorry.

Brian

Once in a while I have the necessity of sending ISO-2022 (Japanese
encoded) text via email, but have recently found that the software I
currently use does not support it.  I used to have no problem doing
this in Eudora, but I use the "free" mode in its latest incarnation.
Apple's Mail has no place to set encoding, and Entourage (I know, I
know) is having SMTP issues with my server which do not let it send
out (I have never loaded it until needing to send Japanese).

I am running:

G3 333 Lombard, OS 10.2.8, 384 MB RAM

Anybody have a solution?

Thanks,