On Friday, December 12, 2003, at 05:11 AM, Andrew Main wrote:

nemo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I read in Dan Knight's article "Flash Memory Improves PowerBook" on
lowendmac.com that some folks have successfully booted a Lombard from
compact flash. I've been trying with mine and have had no success so
far....

In the article Dan wrote: "I've queried the list for more information on which models have been successfully booted. The following _should_ work: ... (Lombard)."

Actually I doubt this will work with any model later than the WallStreet, as beginning with the Lombard it became impossible to boot from a hard disk connected to the PC Card slot -- where earlier models boot from the PC Card slot if a good System Folder is found there and chosen, just as if booting from an external SCSI drive. I noticed this change right away, since I had long relied on HDs connected via PC Card (in the 190/5300, 1400 and 3400/G3) to do software maintenance and repair -- far more convenient than using a SCSI drive. The Lombard you can start from an external SCSI drive, the Pismo and later from FireWire, but not via PCMCIA. (The WallStreet, oddly, will always boot from any System Folder found anywhere but the internal HD -- CD, SCSI, PCMCIA -- whether chosen in Startup Device or not -- an intended feature? Annoying, sometimes.)

Andrew Main

Not the answer I wished for, but... I guess that's what I'm stuck with. My only other choice at this point is to setup bootp/ftpd on my OSX machine and boot the PBG3 via ethernet. Wish me luck...

thanks for the info!