On Jan 1, 2004, at 10:56 AM, Jeff Hubatka wrote:

Hi all - I have a Pismo that has recently decided not to go to sleep on it's own. Everything was fine until I figured I'd do a little upgrade. I was going to swap out the 20GB hard drive with a 30GB, but after I cloned it and installed the larger one, I decided it was too loud so I put the 20GB back in. Since then, it doesn't go to sleep. It will sleep from the keyboard (power button and S), and it sleeps if I close the lid. It also works from the Apple menu. I have tossed the System Preferences plist, reset the PRAM on startup, reset-nvram and reset-all in open firmware, fsck'd the disk, repaired permissions, and even tried logging in as a different user. Nothing works! The screen effects activate at the right time and the screen also goes dark at the right time, but it never says goodnight. Well, it does work properly in OS9.

I've had the same problem with my Pismo. I figured it was either caused by a preference pane extension, or a preference in my users folder. I am not clear on what precisely caused the problem, but doing a clean install of the system and careful copying of existing prefs files cleared it up. My machine now will sleep according to the energy saver pane settings.
I went about it indirectly, copying the OSX partition of my drive to a partition on an external drive using Carbon Copy Cloner. I installed a fresh system onto the other partition, then dragged the Applications folder over. Rebooting into this new partition allowed the machine to sleep as it should. Since I had a full backup of my old setup on the external drive, I then cloned the new setup onto my internal drive.
When I copied the entire preferences folder from my user/library folder, the problem reappeared, so I removed the old preferences, and have only copied existing ones on an as-needed, individual basis. Some software needed to be re-installed.