John Abraham pointed me to some additional infos:
>In the mean time a Google search has brought up a Lowendmac archive
>with some useful info for a DVD ROM/CDRW for this model.
>1: www.lowendmac.com/pb2/g3series.shtml

On the MCE Tech website I found some install/user manuals:
<http://www.mcetech.com/usersguides.html>

and these items were listed therein:

€(RW161024)16x10x24 Xcarét Pro CD-RW Drive for PowerBook G3 1998

€(DVRW88824)8x8x8x24 Xcarét Pro DVD/CD-RW Combo Drive for PowerBook G3
1998

So MCE made 'em but I've yet to come across an example of either on eBay.
Good to know they're out there, but they've gotta be scarcer than hen's
teeth. Of course, I'd love to get my hands on either one, or at least a
good set of takeapart pics. :-)

Dan K

http://macdan.n3.net/
carracho://dankephoto.dhs.org:9700