My Reply follows quote. On 08/01/2004 10:29 [EMAIL PROTECTED] said:

>I am in need of help/advice to get my Samsung ML-1710 Monochrome
>printer to work with my PowerBook G3 Lombard.  I just bought this
>printer and a USB2 hi0speed cable yesterday.  I installed the driver,
>using the CD-ROM that came with the printer, but I'm unable to get
>the printer to print anything except its demo page.  At startup, and
>when I invoke the print commandi, i.e., try to print something in
>SimpleText, I get this message:
>
>"The software needed to use the USB device, "Samsung ML-1710 Series"
>cannot be found.  Please refer to the device documentation to install
>the necessary software.  If you do not install the software, you may
>want to remove the device to prevent this dialog from reappearing."
>
>I'm hoping there is a simple solution, but meanwhile I wonder if
>somehow I got the wrong CD-ROM package.  The new item now in my
>extensions folder is a chooser extension "SAMSUNG SPLII," 1.64.
>
>TIA for any help.  USB is still unfailiar territory to me.
------------
If it is a Chooser extension, I am guessing that you are using OS9 or
previous.

Does the printer show up in the Chooser?

Do you have it selected?

Do you have the Apple USB support files loaded?

I have an Epson 777 USB printer and it is seen on my network as a shared
printer as long as the 777 drivers are present on each machine that I
wish to print from, even those that have no USB capability.

I do know that USB 2 is not supported by an OS prior to 10.?.?.(Jaguar?).
If the printer is USB specific, you may be in for a challenge.

Ken