Hello again fellow Mac PowerBook Users,

I'm still seeking a solution to get a brand new Samsung ML-1710 Monochrome USB printer to work with a recently acquired PowerBook G3 (Lombard), running in OS 9.2.2. My previously reported problem has not budged, despite several helpful suggestions.

Following one suggestion I obtained from this list, I installed a new driver, after downloading it from Samsung's site, (a slightly updated v. 1.65 from the 1.64 that came with the printer on CD-ROM. Even with this newly updated driver, I still get the message that the needed driver software "cannot be found."

The cable I purchased at the same place as this new USB printer is a Belkin USB2 Hi-speed cable. I wonder is perhaps the problem is caused by the high-speed Belkin USB-2 cable, and perhaps I need to use a USB-1 cable instead? (I'm not very familiar with USB-1, or USB-2, despite overhearing talk in the past of their possible incompatibilities (or "backward compatibleness"?).

The chooser shows "SAMSUNG SPL II" in the left window, but nothing in the right window, perhaps because the attempt to connect with USB cable does not pertain to the previously familiar serial modem or printer ports.

If I don't figure out how to get this new printer to work in the next few days, I'm considering returning it to the retailer that sold it to me, but I'm still hoping for a (hopefully simple) solution.

(And I haven't even yet pursued my other eventual need, that of finding a USB compatible MIDI interface!)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Greenfield Bowie