They will work better in Classic, and I would go with MacOS X 10.3, personally. You have to purchase one of them, and it might as well be the newest. 10.3 runs very well on my Lombard 333, with Photoshop 7 running well natively. I used Office 98 a few times, and it feels almost as snappy as under 9, but not quite. Still, the Classic compatibility is much better in 10.2 and 10.3 than it is in 10.1