At 4:42 PM -0500 1/17/04, Dave Bonhoff wrote:
>Does anyone know what the determining factors are for the cooling fan
>in a Lombard to run?  What controls it?  How to test it?
>
>The reason I'm asking is that my Lombard 333 (O/C'd to 433) with 512 MB
>running X.3.2 has been running at 100% CPU and heavy disk and CD
>activity for about an hour now and the fan has yet to come on even for
>a second.  I lifted out the keyboard and the heat sink is uncomfortable
>to touch, especially over the CPU.  I realize that this suggests that
>the heat is being removed from the CPU, hopefully effectively, but I'm
>concerned that it is getting too warm.
>
>Now that I've had the keyboard open for a few minutes while writing
>this (I have an external keyboard connected), the heat sink is
>noticeably cooler.  This really makes me wonder if my fan should be
>running...

        I wonder if that might be what leads to the failure of the L2 cache
in the processor, as is the problem with mine (According to Gauge Pro, mine
runs at 55-65 Celcius).  Is a fix possible of something like this, or am I
stuck with replacement of the processor?  Anyone have a spare 333 or other
replacement processor on hand?  TIA.
Paul Nelson