Unless your doing graphic intensive apps or video processing I wouldn't worry too much about altivec. . . anyway, I hear that the powerlogix's G3/900MHZ processor cards, ironic though it may seem, is actually faster than the G4/500MHZ according to some bench test.

check out this link:
http://www.powerlogix.com/products2/bcg3pismo/

I have a G3/500MHZ Pismo that I bought from a guy oversees, well taken of I might add. .
and it's the best mobile unit that I've ever had. . I have no desire at all to upgrade to another computer. Oh, and another thing, the only reason why I have not upgraded to the Blue Chip Pismo card from Powerlogix is because I'm a little unsure about heat issues. . as you know that powerbooks run a little warm anyway, and with a faster chip. . well, I'm just not sure. You might need to checkout some bench test before you buy.

-MW .