On 1/22/04 1:22 PM, Melvin Watts wrote:

>Unless your doing graphic intensive apps or video processing I wouldn't
>worry too  much about  altivec. . .  anyway,  I hear that the
>powerlogix's G3/900MHZ processor cards, ironic though it may seem,  is
>actually faster than the G4/500MHZ according to some bench test.

And I understand that one advantage of the PowerLogix upgrade is that the
chip can be throttled back on speed to save battery juice when you don't
need the faster speed - without having to reboot!

>all to upgrade to another computer. Oh, and another thing, the only
>reason why I have not upgraded to the Blue Chip Pismo card from
>Powerlogix is because I'm a little unsure about heat issues. . as you
>know that powerbooks run a little warm anyway, and with a faster chip.
>. well, I'm just not sure. You might need to checkout some bench test
>before you buy.

Not sure on the heat, but see my earlier response above - it may be
possible to run slower (and cooler?)...

HTH,

Jim Rohde