20040127
I'm having trouble getting my iBook (OS 10.2.8) to talk to my Beige G3
desktop (OS 9.2.1) I'm using the ethernet ports - when I try to turn on
Appletalk on the desktop it says check the network configuration (?)

Maybe this isn't even possible. Put me in the know!
--
Mark Rath, LSW, Coordinator
----\

Hi, Mark,

To avoid giving you no for an answer, I'll help as far as I know. Perhaps you'll wind up where you want to...go.

With my lack of networking sophistication and no OS X experience, I can only check basics with you, so if you are OK on those we'll have to wait for more help when someone in a part of the world awake chimes in.

1- Are you going thru a hub/switch or cabling direct (computer to computer)?

2- Are you using a cable appropriate to the method of connection (though I hear some newer switches can autodetect the type of cable)--wired straight or wired null (if cabling direct)?

3- I don't yet use OS X, but in 9 you need to make sure your appletalk is set to ethernet, not for example, the modem/printer port on the g3 (assuming it has same?);

Let's see how you do on these--HTH

Jim