On Jan 29, 2004, at 8:28 AM, Beniamino Cenci Goga wrote:

There's a good chance the failure is in the serial transceiver. as this is the part that would likely be damaged by external electrical overload. Take the computer apart and use an oscilloscope to see if signals are making is across the transceiver.

You can replace the serial transceiver if you know how to do surface mount device rework.

Paul

You may think I am naive.... but how can I recognize the serial transceiver?

I'm making no assumptions as all sorts sorts of skill levels are on this list.

The serial transceiver will likely be a 16 to 24 pin chip located close to the serial port. Maxim, Linear, National, TI are some of the manufacturers. Look at the chips you think might be candidates. Go to the semiconductor company web sites and search for the part number, look at the page. It likely will be a RS-423 interface. If you don't know the package logo's that correspond to a specific manufacturer, try googling the part number, or drop me a line with the part number. You can also google for RS-423 interfaces and likely get an idea of who makes the chips.

Once you get the manufacturer's data on the part, you can identify the I/O pins and see if you have signals going through.

Paul

I am quite good at soldiering and just in case a friend of mine can help.

Ben

Small Dog Electronics http://www.smalldog.com | Refurbished Drives |
-- Check our web site for refurbished PowerBooks | & CDRWs on Sale! |