hello gang,

thanks a lot for the many suggestions. I've done the homework and here's a
little update. I've locked the partition to rescue and tried out the
suggested softwares. Data Rescue seems very powerful, but it left me in
doubt as it displayed the entire hierarchy correctly with names and
sizes, but the latest versions of the files were in a .Trashes folder
and when I tried to recover one file, I got only an empty folder. I blew
like this my "free trial" file rescue (limited to one file).

VirtualLab gave only file icons and types but no names then one is asked
to shell out according to the volume of rescue, but it seemed not a
sensible thing to do.

I might go with the Tech Tool Pro then, but I'll give another thought
before acting. Meanwhile I have luckily managed to rescue a few of the most
important files in a "transversal" way, so I'm no longer in pressing
emergency. Luckily these were Word files and the sequence of "Word Work
File"s accumulated during the past weeks of work right to the latest
version of the files showed up misteriously in the Trash of my OS 9
partition when I booted on to it, in search of further methods of rescue.
They were in a "rescued items" folder and gave me back the most important
files I needed. Now, that's a great built-in incremental backup tool!

Still, I would rather rescue the entire partition content. Thanks everyone
for the great help!

cheers, gianfrancoo