What happens in these situations? Nothing? A warning/dialog box?

My first thought is to check/repair permissions.
Another would be to "Get Info" on the file, go to "Open With", navigate to
Excel, then verify to "Always Open With...".
Hmm - what size is the file? Do you know for a fact it's a legitimate
Excel file?

A very round about method, but perhaps worth a shot: Open the file in
AppleWorks. It should translate okay. Try saving as an Excel sheet, or
just Copy & Paste over. Note that if this workbook contains more than one
worksheet you may have problems as AppleWorks doesn't handle multiple
sheets (IIRC)

HTH

--
Non Illegitimi Carborundum